Europe Italy Travel

Visiting Venice, Italy on a Budget

October 1, 2016

visiting-venice-on-a-budget

Venice isn’t always top of the list for backpackers or people on a budget as it is pretty expensive. This post will give you some tips on how to save money and what there is to see in Venice.

img_0069Accommodation

The best way to save money is to stay in Mestre the mainland town connected by bus or train. Trains run regularly every 10-15 minutes and it takes about 10 minutes to get there on the train. A single ticket costs €1.25.

Nuova Loconda Belvedere

This is the hotel/hostel I stayed in prices start from £20 a night.

Pros

• Cheaper than staying in the centre of Venice
  • Great for solo travellers met lots of new people
  • Free car parking
  • 10 minute walk to station
  • Close to supermarket

Cons

• Not very modern
  • No lockers in room
  • Not many showers/toilet so had to wait a while in the morning
  • Didn’t feel very safe walking back from train station at night

Another option would be the Generator Hostel, this one is slightly more expensive starting around £30. This hostel looks beautiful inside and I would recommend booking in advance as it sells out fast.

venice-italy

Pack a picnic

There are lots of supermarkets and bakeries to buy fresh produce making it much cheaper than eating at a restaurant.

Chiesa di San Pantalon Church

I was taken here on the walking tour, I hadn’t heard about this church before and was so impressed. It has the most breathtaking painting on the ceiling which took the artist 20 years to create. Unfortunately you aren’t allowed to take photos inside but you can see a few here on Tripadvisor.

Boat or Gondola ride

A quintessential tourist attraction in Venice is the gondola ride. This was my second visit to Venice I went a few years ago with my mum and we went on a gondola ride. I’m so glad I did this as it had been on my bucket list for ages. It is very expensive so I would recommend saving up for this. If your budget doesn’t allow for this then the lady on the walking tour recommended getting a water bus as its so much cheaper than having a gondola ride.

img_0066Free Walking Tour

It’s so easy to get lost in Venice with the maze of canals and small streets so doing a walking tour will help you get your bearings. It is also a great way to lean about Venice’s past and culture. If you are a fan of Indiana Jones there are a few spots in Venice where it was filmed which the tour guide pointed out. I did the free walk in Venice tour and my tour guide was called Lucia she was really friendly and knowledgeable.

free-walk-in-venice

See the Bridge of Sighs

The Bridge of Sighs was built to connect the old prison to the interrogation rooms the view from its stone barred windows was the last that prisoners saw as they were led to their cells.

Saint Mark’s Basilica

Free to get in but the queues can be very long.

♡♡♡

• Reply Lisa Yip October 1, 2016 at 4:15 pm

What a fascinating post! Been thinking of travelling to Italy so this has been insightful with great tips! 👍

• Reply Little Lottie October 1, 2016 at 6:48 pm

This is super helpful. I’m visiting Italy at the end of the month and want to stick to a tight budget. Definitely want to splash on a Gondola ride though! 🙂 x

• Reply tayonthemove October 1, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Beautiful pictures, thanks for the tips!

• Reply RhapsodyBoheme October 1, 2016 at 10:03 pm

❤️❤️❤️

• Reply Unchronicled Narratives October 2, 2016 at 6:09 am

Well written post, feel like flying to Venice now. 🙂

• Reply Laura Blossomofhope October 2, 2016 at 5:33 pm

I loved how you split everything up into sections, I am sure this is helpful to so many people xx

• Reply shaunz October 2, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Great tips! Thanks for visiting my blog, i’m a new follower to your blog. Looking forward to future posts..;)

• Reply Annabelle October 3, 2016 at 6:51 pm

These tips are so useful! I loooved Venice and can’t wait to go back someday!

x Annabelle
    travelsandtea.com

• Reply Christina ❤️ Vancouver foodie - carealot604 October 4, 2016 at 8:30 pm

These photos make me want to travel! <3

• Reply cookingwithauntjuju.com October 6, 2016 at 1:19 pm

I spent my 30th birthday there many years ago with my hubby!

• Reply Tuscan Dreams October 12, 2016 at 6:53 pm

I was in Venice at the weekend for the first time…. it is definitely somewhere you really need to see in a lifetime and we was lucky enough to have local friends who gave us advice, I love the post because it can be a pricey city but your tips are great for the money savvy traveller!

• Reply Nyse October 15, 2016 at 7:28 am

Wow this was fascinating, I’ll be honest I never thought much about going to Venice, but I knew it wasn’t exactly the most budget friendly place. Your tips are helpful, as well as insightful. Great post!

• Reply Nyse October 15, 2016 at 7:29 am

Wow this was fascinating, I’ll be honest I never thought much about going to Venice, but I knew it wasn’t exactly the most budget friendly place. Your tips are honestly helpful. Great post!

• Reply Paulo@Travel Bugs October 18, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Thanks for sharing! Venice is in my bucket list for the longest time :-S

• Reply jesstmxo October 26, 2016 at 9:25 am

So helpful I really want to go I’ll tell my boyfriend about this. Have yoy ever been Rome???

• Reply enjoytheadventures October 31, 2016 at 10:21 am

Thanks 😊 its such a beautiful place. Yes I’ve been to Rome it’s definitely worth visiting there’s so much to see and the Vatican is amazing!

• Reply jesstmxo October 31, 2016 at 8:09 pm

It’s on the top of my list💙💙

• Reply grant October 27, 2016 at 9:52 pm

Excellent advice!

• Reply mytimetotravel October 28, 2016 at 12:04 am

Venice is a different place before and after the day trippers, so I think it is false economy to sleep on the mainland (although I recognize that my budget is not rock bottom). Last time I found a B&B in Sant’Elena which was much cheaper than sleeping in the center, but still close. The station area should be cheaper, too. Also, I find a transport pass well worth the money, especially if you want to visit one of the islands -highly recommend Burano.

• Reply enjoytheadventures October 31, 2016 at 10:18 am

Ah that sounds good. Yeah there’s a few cheaper places surrounding Venice but that aren’t too far away. I’ve heard good things about Burano hopefully will go back one day and visit 😊

• Reply Tails Around the Ranch October 29, 2016 at 1:50 am

One of my favorite cities in the world. Thanks for sharing these tips. But even if you have to pay a bit more, Venice is worth every single Euro. 🙂

• Reply munchkinontheroad November 1, 2016 at 10:53 am

Reblogged this on On the Road Cooking and commented:
    Always enjoy your adventures…

• Reply Swinttravelblog November 7, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Love it there the food is great! Good information.

• Reply Jacque' December 13, 2016 at 7:23 pm

The wife and I really love this blog and appreciate the useful information and imagery you provide. We would like to encourage you to keep writing and never abandon this blog. When you decide to have a mobile app version, I would love to be of service. I appreciate the hard work you have put into this blog and wish you all future success in business and in life.

Thank you for your time, it is the most precious thing we all possess.
    -Jacque’

• Reply enjoytheadventures December 15, 2016 at 3:56 pm

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoy reading my blog. I’ll let you know if I get an app version in the future 😊

• Reply Ashley Miller December 30, 2016 at 8:48 am

Thank you for your post!! Have you ever traveled France? Do you have any ideas about saving money there? Thanks 🙂

Ashley M. |thecarpediemlifeblog.wordpress.com

• Reply Visiting Venice, Italy on a Budget – Enjoy The Adventure – The Punk Rock Hobo February 9, 2017 at 10:15 am

[…] via Visiting Venice, Italy on a Budget — […]