Food Norway Travel

Oslo, Norway Travel Guide

December 8, 2016

Oslo is full of colourful old and new architecture and quirky sculptures. The main thing I loved about Oslo is how everything is Koselig (cosy). Local bars and restaurants supply outdoor heaters and wool blankets you put over your lap whilst enjoying a drink. Inside is filled with candles or warm fires and many bathrooms have heated floors to warm up chilly feet. Being one of the most expensive cities in the world Oslo is not cheap so I’ve included some free things to do.

What to do

Royal Palace

It’s free to walk around the gardens and you can purchase a tour around the Palace but it is only open from end of June to Mid August. The changing of the guards take place every day at 1.30. The Palace looked so pretty in the snow I felt like I was in Narnia!

the-royal-palace-oslo-norway

Go Shopping
Scandinavia is famous for its elegant and minimalist clothing and home ware. Walk along Karl Johans gate for some great shops.

Akershus Fortress

Fortress Oslo Norway (2).jpg

fortress-oslo-norway

Museums

If visiting on a Sunday some museums are free so check online before visiting.

Nobel Peace Centre

Nobel Peace Museum in Oslo Norway.jpg

National Gallery

national-gallery-oslo-norway

edward-munch-the-scream-oslo

Edward Munch’s most famous piece – The Scream

Free

Go inside the City Hall

From the outside it doesn’t look that impressive but inside is full of beautiful art about Norwegian culture and history.

oslo-city-hall-norway

oslo-city-hall-murals

Visit the Opera House

img20161105101921-2

The Vigeland Park (Sculpture Park)

angry-baby-sculpture-oslo-norway

sculpture-park-in-oslo-norway

Trying out the sculpture poses obviously nailed it haha

Walk along the waterfront

Wander along the waterfront admiring the views and then get cosy in one of the bars.

Accommodation

Oslo Central Hostel

• Free breakfast – this is the best hostel breakfast I’ve ever had. They have a wide variety of fruits, yoghurt, egg, bacon and the best herby mushrooms.
  • Lockers and towels provided
  • Good location close to the fortress and shopping streets
  • Atmosphere more of a hotel rather than a hostel

Where to Eat & Drink

Mathallen Market

This food market is outside the centre there are bus’s or trams that you can get here. We walked and its around a 20-30 minute walk. The food here is expensive but then so is everywhere in Norway. It is also closed on a Monday.

Justisen Bar

This place is a lot of fun there’s an outdoor bar with heaters and upstairs lots of different rooms. The rooms look like they have been decorated by someone’s Grandma with loads of floral wallpaper and cosy lights.

Mona Lisa – Italian

Very fancy looking restaurant you can also eat outside on the balcony.

Homan Bistro & Bar

I had the best bangers and mash here!

Homan Oslo Norway Bar & Restaurant.jpg

Information

• If visiting in Autumn/Winter it will be freezing pack thermals, scarves and hats
  • Oslo is super expensive so budget accordingly. Dinner or lunch will cost £20-£30 for one course and that is in the cheaper restaurants. If you visit during summer you could go to a supermarket and buy some foods for a picnic. You should also pack some snacks with you. We ended up paying £5 for a packet of crisps and chocolate bars are about £3 so its worth bringing stuff in your suitcase.
  • I would recommend getting an Oslo pass they have 24hr, 48 and 72 hour passes which will provide you with free entry to museums the fortress and public transport. 24 hr is 335NOK 48 hr is 490NOK and 72 is 620NOK you can also get student discount. The museums are quite expensive to get into so it does make the pass worth it.

*Note: Special thanks to Visit Oslo for providing me with a 72hr Oslo Pass

oslo-travel-guide-pinterest

• Reply Patricia December 8, 2016 at 5:42 pm

Beautiful photos! My Grandmother’s family is from Oslo and Vestre and we think it’s the most wonderful place on earth! Thanks for this post!

• Reply cindy knoke December 8, 2016 at 5:51 pm

So helpful. We will be back in Oslo in September. Thanks for posting~

• Reply enjoytheadventures December 11, 2016 at 8:33 am

Thanks I hope you have a lovely time there 🙂

• Reply Anne Lene @ MinimalistSometimes December 26, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Cindy, are you visiting Oslo only? If you are considering coming to my end of the world, the Stavanger region, let me know.. I can give you a few ideas of places that might be worth visiting 🙂

• Reply ourfrenchoasis December 8, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Beautiful photos and so helpful. We are hoping to visit Norway this summer, so I shall keep this handy!

• Reply Anna Cottage December 8, 2016 at 6:08 pm

How beautiful and tempting.

• Reply JESS @PT CONTENDER December 8, 2016 at 8:31 pm

What a beautiful place ! Thank you for sharing :)) i had no idea!

• Reply milenkamillie ✨❄️ December 8, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Oslo looks so beautiful. It has been on my travel list for a while now. Your guide is super helpful, thank you! And you’re right, it really does look Narnia-like and magical! 💕 x

• Reply Covert Novelist December 8, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Beautiful photos. Really loved the tour. You make your photo sessions a delightful fun time and very appealing. thank you.

• Reply lauraegiesbrecht December 8, 2016 at 11:57 pm

Oslo is awesome! 🙂 such beautiful photos to capture such a beautiful city. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply tayonthemove December 9, 2016 at 12:44 am

Beautiful photos! I need to go here!

• Reply earlyretirementnow.com December 9, 2016 at 6:02 am

Beautiful pictures. I went to Oslo as a teenager and can’t wait to go back! Oslo is so pretty, even in the wintertime. But sooo expensive. 🙂

• Reply fatimasaysell December 9, 2016 at 8:49 am

That looks magnificent and I love your pose by the sculpture. Shame about everything being so expensive, but I am sure it will be fine for a couple of days as a special treat. Thanks for sharing all that information: I am sure I’ll need it one day soon.

• Reply alexraphael December 10, 2016 at 2:19 pm

I’ve been to Denmark and Sweden but never Norway. Really nice pictures. Love the pose btw.

• Reply Christina ❤️ Vancouver foodie December 12, 2016 at 3:31 am

I nominated you for Real Neat Blog Award, here’s the link: https://carealot604.wordpress.com/2016/12/11/real-neat-blog-award-2/. 🙂

• Reply Image Earth Travel December 14, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Great post and brought back a lot of memories of when I travelled there in 1985 – beet it’s changed a lot!

• Reply iheart11 December 18, 2016 at 4:04 pm

Great post! I went to Oslo in August and loved the city!

• Reply Anne Lene @ MinimalistSometimes December 26, 2016 at 5:59 pm

Love the pictures, Oslo is such a great place to visit, it puts a smile on my face every time I go 😀

• Reply Sasha & Lola January 1, 2017 at 6:44 am

I live in Tromsø, in the far north of Norway. I go to Oslo once in a while With my family. There’s a really good “Fretex” shop (= Salvation Army second-hand shop) about a block away from the palace grounds in the center of Oslo. The address is Universitetsgata 20. It is just off the main street that leads down from the palace called Karl Johans Gate. My mom and I got some great clothes there the last time we were there. From the human behind the cats at 2 Blogging Cats https://2bloggingcats.wordpress.com/ . Happy New Year!

• Reply Francesco Speradio January 3, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Snow Season in Oslo Is Coming, Are You Ready? Give a look 🙂

• Reply emotionsoflife2016 January 4, 2017 at 2:43 am

Oh Norway, I want to visit so bad

• Reply Camille Voyage January 6, 2017 at 4:22 pm

I was there last january and boy was it freezing! I have to go back because I definitely missed a lot of the things you mentioned 😉 thanks for the lovely guide!

• Reply seesawtravels January 6, 2017 at 11:57 pm

Fantastic photos! And I love that word “Koselig” 🙂

• Reply Lisa January 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Great post! I loved your photos and great advice!

• Reply Oslo, Norway Travel Guide — Enjoy The Adventure – The Punk Rock Hobo March 9, 2017 at 1:04 am

[…] via Oslo, Norway Travel Guide — […]

• Reply vinneve March 28, 2017 at 8:17 am

Good to see places that I may not travel as it is way too far. Your blog theme is beautiful and easy to navigate.