Belgium Travel Weekend Away

One Day in Bruges Belgium

August 27, 2016

one-day-in-bruges

Bruge Belgium Canal

I absolutely loved my recent trip to Bruges, it’s such an amazing city. I enjoyed wandering around the medieval buildings and beautiful canals. I arrived by train from Brussels. The trains in Belgium are easy to use and are run frequently. When I arrived at Bruges station it was a 10 minute walk from the centre. Everything in Bruges is within walking distance so its easy to get around.

Buildings in Bruge

If you haven’t seen the movie In Bruge I would recommend watching before you go. Its a dark comedy about two Irish hitmen starring Colin Farrel. It features all the beautiful buildings of Bruges. Also a lot of the walking tours will show you key places from the movie.

What to do in Bruges

1. Visit the market square
  2. Canal boat tour
  3. Get lost wandering the beautiful streets
  4. Explore at night the market square and buildings around the canal are all lit up
  5. Free walking tour
  6. Eat waffles
  7. Enjoy a hot chocolate
  8. Beer tasting
  9. Try some of the famous Belgian fries
  10. Eat loads of Belgian chocolate

Accommodation – Lybeer Travellers Hostel

Lybeer hostel Bruge

Lybeer Hostel Lounge – Photo from Hostelworld

This hostel was great not too far from the station. Ideal for solo travellers as they have a lounge and people seemed very sociable. I met a group of people and went to a free outdoor concert which was brilliant. This hostel also has a bar and holds beer tasting evenings. I would recommend this hostel and would stay here again.

Bruge Belgium Canal 2

Overall I had an amazing time in Bruges, it was my favourite place I visited in Belgium. I could have spent longer here as I didn’t get to do and see everything I wanted.  Next on my list of places to visit in Belgium is Ghent!

♡♡♡

• Reply dancingpalmtrees August 28, 2016 at 6:10 pm

Thanks for this travel blog post. Have added this to my Must See Travel Destinations when I retire in about two years.

• Reply rosemaylily2014 August 29, 2016 at 9:45 am

Love Bruges! Went here a few years ago and it is so pretty 🙂

• Reply itsabrewtifulworld August 29, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Glad you had a great time. My favorite city and I agree with you about watching In Bruges! 😂.

• Reply Coral Waight September 6, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Thanks for your photos and advice. Now I want to go there even more.

• Reply Keep calm and just carry on September 11, 2016 at 12:23 pm

I’m on my way there now and can’t wait to explore- sounds like fun!

• Reply kalison0515 September 12, 2016 at 12:37 am

Lovely photos and good info on the hostel — thanks! I hope you had a chance to visit Gent. I actually liked it better than Brugge because it is imperfect. It is both gorgeous and gritty.

• Reply enjoytheadventures September 12, 2016 at 8:10 am

Thanks I didn’t get a chance to visit Ghent but I’ve heard so many good things I’ll have to visit one day!

• Reply Gypsy Bev September 13, 2016 at 2:17 am

What a colorful city!

• Reply Anabel Marsh September 18, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Thanks for visiting The Glasgow Gallivanter! We visited Bruges a couple of years ago and loved it.

• Reply southamptonoldlady September 20, 2016 at 7:40 am

These photos are beautiful. I hope to visit here soon – I arrive at Zeebrugge for a day and hope to get the train – did you get a boat around the river?

• Reply enjoytheadventures September 20, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Thank you! No I didn’t end up going on a boat as it started raining but if I go back I would definitely do a boat tour.

• Reply Marian St.Clair September 23, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Thanks for the recommendation to see the movie…I’ve never heard of it! And I’m visiting Bruges for the first time next year.

• Reply enjoytheadventures September 24, 2016 at 8:30 am

Thanks for reading! I hope you have an amazing time in Bruges.

• Reply beetleypete September 24, 2016 at 9:02 am

Bruges is indeed a magical place. I went there long before the film ‘In Bruges’ ever came out, and managed to happily walk around, and see all the sights. I also took a short boat trip on the canal, and a horse and buggy ride from the main square.
    I went to Ghent much later, nine years ago in fact. It is smaller, and less touristy, with the casual vibe of a university town, and a relaxed atmosphere. It also has an interesting castle right in the centre, and the buildings and canals make it feel very much like Bruges. I am sure that you will enjoy visiting Ghent. I know that I did.
    Best wishes, Pete.

• Reply lycheel September 27, 2016 at 10:57 pm

Lovely post! I have heard so much about Bruges and planning to go next summer. So excited!

• Reply tayonthemove September 28, 2016 at 8:58 pm

Your pictures made me nostalgic for when I visited Bruges. I absolutely fell in love with this place!

• Reply trudi_bruges September 29, 2016 at 9:31 am

glad you had a good time, greets from belgium 🙂

• Reply Holiday Season September 29, 2016 at 8:05 pm

I wish I could visit this charming city.

• Reply thomassutcliffe October 1, 2016 at 9:45 am

Excellent post – I remember enjoying Bruges when I was there some years ago.

• Reply Rhonda Sittig October 1, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Beautiful photos– so bright and inviting. We were in Bruges years ago when our children were small–remembering a small chocolate shop! Thanks fro bringing back all the memories!

• Reply equinoxio21 October 4, 2016 at 11:56 pm

Bruges is a lovely place. When it is not raining! 🙂

• Reply Christopher HALL October 11, 2016 at 4:17 am

You were there just a very short while before me – and like you – I loved the place! My next blog is about Brussels, Brugge and Lille … and they all seem so very long ago, now that I am back in my hometown, Chiang Mai, Thailand!

• Reply Spence's Girl October 29, 2016 at 6:31 pm

When in Europe, we only drove through Brussels, from Amsterdam to France but seeing these pictures I’m convinced that we must check it out if (God willing) we make it back to Europe!

• Reply enjoytheadventures October 31, 2016 at 10:13 am

Yes you definitely should try and do another Europe trip there’s so many places to see 😊

• Reply Andrew Lishak November 23, 2016 at 11:04 am

I have been three times to Bruges and totally love the place. I saw the film and always wanted to see the place and can found it even better then imagined. I have been on about Film sequel and sent loads of emails Facebook Twitter and Youtube and good news a sequel might happen as Brugges City Film Office looking at it. It’s after I saw this made me go for it😀. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LZoApHKemwY by the way Gruuthuse Hof is superb value for food and great deals

• Reply One Day in Bruges Belgium — – The Punk Rock Hobo January 1, 2017 at 1:54 pm

[…] via One Day in Bruges Belgium — […]

• Reply A Hearty Nomad January 10, 2017 at 7:19 am

I need to go to Bruge now! Damn it! I have been to other parts of Belgium and the good thing you can get this amazing chocolate and tasty beer all over, which is good and I ate a lot!

• Reply The Punk Rock Hobo January 26, 2017 at 9:00 am