Slovenia Travel Weekend Away

Things to do in Ljubljana & the beautiful Lake Bled

September 24, 2016

I really wanted to visit Slovenia after seeing photos of Lake Bled on Pinterest. I also decided to visit Ljubljana as it’s the capital of Slovenia, I still have no idea how to pronounce it though! Lake Bled lived up to my high expectations, its like a fairytale you could spend a few days there admiring the views. Here is what I got up to on my trip.

slovenia-6

img_0056

Love locks at Butchers Bridge

Ljubljana Castle

img_0055

I got a funicular to the castle, ticket price with entrance to the castle is €10 or €7 with a student card. It is slightly cheaper to walk to the castle and pay for entrance €7.50 or €5.20  for students. The funicular runs frequently around every 10 minutes. Once at the castle climb up to the viewing point for a beautiful view over the city.

img_0054

View from castle

Slovenia (79).jpg

If you walk around the city in the evening you will see the castle lit up green.

Lake Bled

Lake Bled is amazing it’s so picture perfect with its emerald waters and cute church in the middle.

How to get here

To get here from Ljubljana I got a bus it takes about 1hr 15 minutes. I went in August and the bus was full lots of people were standing. I left at 10am and the buses got even busier after this. I would recommend arriving at the bus station early so you can get a seat. At the bus station there is a kiosk you can buy a single or return ticket €12 from and also a small bakery you can get some snacks from. Once you arrive it is only a few minutes walk from the lake.

What to do

Bled Castle

img_0036

A medieval castle built above the city of Bled overlooking the stunning lake. The castle has a museum, restaurant and the most breathtaking views. It takes about 20 minutes to walk up here it is quite steep and there is a lot of stairs. It costs  €10 or €7 if a student.

Walk, cycle & swim

There is an area cornered of for swimming you have to pay to get in but it has changing rooms, showers and you can rent a beach umbrella. Its also great to walk or cycle (they have bikes to rent) around the lake and you can get a closer view of the church on the island.

img_0045

Accomodation – Hostel Tabor Ljubljana

IMG_0053.JPG

• Free breakfast & wifi
  • Good location short walk from centre and about 15 minutes from bus station
  • Hostel used to be a school, it feels funny sleeping in a school but its quite cosy
  • Quite a big hostel so not that easy to meet people, the people in my dorm room where really friendly though
  • You have to give your key in everytime you go out which is a bit annoying so try and remember your room number

Essential information

• Getting around Ljubljana is easy by foot
  • Don’t eat dinner too late I went to one restaurant around 8.30pm and most of the dishes where sold out and another pizza place I went to shut at 9pm. People tend to eat fairly early here.
  • Currency: Euro
  • A lot of museums are closed on Mondays
  • A lot of shops and supermarkets are closed Sunday or close earlythings-to-do-in-slovenia

♡♡♡

• Reply Joanne Sisco September 24, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I haven’t been to Ljubljana, although I’ve read nothing but really good things about it. Bled on the other hand, is one of those magical places I’ve been … even in the pouring rain. Maybe the rain added to the fairy tale quality of the city.
    Since my photos are all shrouded in fog, it’s always lovely to see photos – like your’s – that were taken on a clear day 🙂

• Reply enjoytheadventures September 25, 2016 at 8:46 am

Thanks 🙂 yeah Bled is like a fairy tale place it’s so amazing

• Reply Manja Mexi Movie September 24, 2016 at 4:32 pm

It’s ‘Lube-lee-yana’ 🙂

• Reply Curlygirlabroad September 25, 2016 at 8:57 am

Wow, I was planning on maybe going there in the summer, seems beautiful!

• Reply The Wayfarer September 25, 2016 at 2:08 pm

I didn’t have time to go to Lake Bled this summer but Ljubljana was one of my favorite places I’ve ever been to in Europe <3 Your pictures are lovely!

• Reply Halee Pagel September 25, 2016 at 7:40 pm

Years ago I saw a photo of Lake Bled online and immediately added Slovenia to my bucket list!! Is it fairly easy to get around if you don’t speak the language?

• Reply enjoytheadventures September 26, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Yes its really easy to get around all the restaurants and places I went they spoke English as well. Slovenia’s definitely worth a visit 🙂

• Reply Awa on the Road September 25, 2016 at 8:46 pm

I was in both place this August. Ljubliana is charming, but Bled lake it’s a bit too commercial.

• Reply seaofblush September 29, 2016 at 2:56 pm

one of my friends just went to slovenia! it’s definitely on my to see list after seeing all her pics and now yours!
    Beautiful post!
    Cheers
    Diana

• Reply busyandfab September 30, 2016 at 2:40 am

This looks like a wonderful place. The castle, the lake and the city itself look like in a dreamland that can be found in book stories. Great blog you have, I would like to follow you in Bloglovin. I hope you can follow back. Thanks.

• Reply Anju October 2, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Wowwwww beautiful

• Reply jacquelineobyikocha October 3, 2016 at 8:00 am

These are fabulous images 🙂

• Reply Featured Posts 132 – Share Your Post Links. | a cooking pot and twistedtales October 3, 2016 at 10:43 am

[…] Ljubljana – Slovenia and the beautiful Lake. Such fabulous photos of far places stoke my desire to travel more, to see beautiful, sublime places all over the World. […]

• Reply Rhonda Sittig October 5, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Just beautiful!! My sister lived in Kosovo the last 3 years and this is one of her favorite places to visit– so fun to see it through all your amazing photos! –and all you information is so useful and practical. thanks!

• Reply manningtreearchive October 6, 2016 at 7:02 am

Very interesting post.

• Reply Kamila Pala October 6, 2016 at 2:17 pm

Nice place and beautiful photos 🙂 Thanks for reminding me this lovely place – I have been here couple years ago! Bye. Kamila

• Reply aquacompass7 October 12, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I miss the Lake Bled.

• Reply Forrest Pasky October 17, 2016 at 4:36 pm

I used to go to this area when we had a design center in Slovenia…..Aptina Imaging.

• Reply What to do in Ljubljana & the beautiful Lake Bled – Wag 'n Bietjie October 22, 2016 at 10:23 am

[…] Source: What to do in Ljubljana & the beautiful Lake Bled […]

• Reply dunelight October 22, 2016 at 5:27 pm

It looks to be a lovely trip.

• Reply Tom Schultz October 27, 2016 at 3:19 pm

A great setting and beautiful color of the lake.

• Reply equinoxio21 November 19, 2016 at 12:48 am

Lovely. Thank you for the trip.
    Have a great week-end
    B.

• Reply apartmentsljubljanacenter November 19, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Love your post and pictures. Cheers from Ljubljana.