Croatia Europe Travel Weekend Away

What to do in Split, Croatia

October 16, 2016

what-to-do-in-split-croatiaSplit is the second largest city in Croatia. It is full of history and culture it is a very popular tourist destination. Here is a list of what to do in Split.

• Visit the Old Town

The old town is a UNESCO world heritage site

split-croatia

• Wander through Diocletian’s Palace in the Old Town

Some of game of thrones was filmed here!

diocletians-palace-split

markets-split-croatia

• Explore the Markets

Selling a variety of souvenirs and food. Croatia is one of the largest producers of lavender so be sure to pick up a lavender gift or try out the lavender ice cream.

lavender-croatia

• Go to the beach

Bacvice beach is closest to the city centre.

• Day trip to Krka National Park

I did a day trip with Gecko tours, the trip started at 8 in the morning and took about 1 hour to get there in a mini bus. It is a good idea to get to the waterfalls early as it gets super busy. When its busy its hard to cross the bridge which is the best area to take photos.  We went on a walk around the park and to some small museums. If you go swimming it is a good idea to wear wet shoes as there’s lots of rocks to climb over. The Krka National Park is definitely worth a trip the waterfalls are stunning!

krka-waterfalls

• Island Hopping

Split is a great destination for island hopping. I got a ferry Split to Hvar it only takes 1.5 hours. You can book tickets at the pier in Split with Jadrolinija. Some other options would be to get a ferry to Vis, Brac or Solta.

• Relax with food and drink by the seafront

• Enjoy the night life

Split has a great night life with many different bars. I went on the tower pub crawl you get to drink as much as you want for two hours.Theres also free pizza and beer pong and after the two hours drinking you get taken to a massive club.

Accomodation

Split Hostel Fiesta Siesta

• This hostel is great for solo travellers as they have nightly dinners which are a great way to meet new people
  • Staff are friendly and helpful trying to make sure all guests are having a good time
  • Located abover Charlies backpacker bar which is a good bar to meet people
  • Centrally located near restaurants and bars
  • Free towel and linen
fiesta-siesta-hostel-split

Photo from Hostelworld

Information

• Language: Croatian – easy to get by with English though
  • Currency: Croatian kuna (10kuna = £1.21)

• Reply Inge | The Belgian Reviewer October 16, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Wow that waterfall, stunning !

• Reply eliwoodbine October 16, 2016 at 5:38 pm

The Krka national park looks amazing!!

Thanks for sharing.

Eli

• Reply seesawtravels October 16, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Gorgeous photos! Krka National park….wow. I must visit that place!

• Reply 1944april October 16, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Great pics – did you use a filter for the earlier pics – I could feel the warmth of the day :-o)

• Reply thedailycare October 16, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Wow! These pictures are beautiful!

• Reply zippyquilts October 16, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Wow! I don’t know of another Roman palace in such good shape!

• Reply plaidshirtdiaries October 17, 2016 at 5:15 am

Very helpful for a trip I’m planning. Thanks!

• Reply theweehouseofcrochet October 17, 2016 at 6:06 am

This looks stunning! I’ve been to Dubrovnik in Croatia before, but nowhere else, beautiful pictures!

• Reply fatimasaysell October 17, 2016 at 9:09 am

You’ve just given me another reason to return to Croatia, Jess. Split looks simply superb and who can turn down the opportunoty to visit one of Game of Thrones settings? (I am a big fan). I love lavender products and lavender icecream in particular, which is just deliciously refreshing: I first tried it in St Remy de Provence and was immediately hooked and always look out for it when I am in the area.
    I look forward to your next stop. Enjoy! 👍

• Reply roughwighting October 17, 2016 at 10:14 am

I think I’m going to enjoy traveling vicariously through you. 😉

• Reply Kritt Normsaskul October 17, 2016 at 12:15 pm

Very handy tips! Thank you for sharing 😊

• Reply Sarah Bence October 17, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Ok well these photos look idyllic. Hoping I can get to Croatia this summer!!

• Reply mirandavoice October 18, 2016 at 4:45 am

Superb photographs

• Reply Amina October 19, 2016 at 7:48 am

Love this post. I have always wanted to go to Croatia and this has given me some great ideas of what i can do! Thank you!

Amina xx | http://www.AliandHer.com

• Reply Kasie October 19, 2016 at 9:35 am

Omg this place looks incredible!! So beautiful the Krka park looks like heaven! Great post xo

• Reply Karolina October 19, 2016 at 10:20 am

This blog literally will be my must read before any trip I take. Haha. So many good advices!
    xx
    Karolina

• Reply DORA October 22, 2016 at 3:27 pm

I’ve always wanted to visit Croatia. Seems like such an amazing place for a vacation!
    Dora

• Reply Sandra Shields, Health Coach October 25, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Lovely!!!!

• Reply Christy B November 2, 2016 at 6:58 pm

Great to know about the things to do there!

• Reply Dan May 8, 2017 at 3:19 pm

45 mins outside Split is the other UNESCO town of Trogir. One of the most beautiful small towns in Europe. On your way you can visit the Kludge Fortress used for Game of Thrones and a great view point from the city. Also nearby us the archeological site of Solin, Croatia’s first capital. Google these places you will love them and is another great day trip. The gorgeous town of Mostar us also only a few hours from Split. I love Croatia. Google these hidden treasures. Stiniva Cove, Rastoke, Varazdin, Island Murter and the Kornati archipilago, Rovinj, Motovun, Opatilja, Makarska Riviera, Losinj island and Korcula island and Pucisca on Brac island. Too much beauty so little time

• Reply enjoytheadventures May 10, 2017 at 7:44 am

Thanks for these suggestions when I go back to Croatia I’ll try and check them out! Croatia is so beautiful 🙂

• Reply Dan May 8, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Meant to say Kliss fortress and Solin is actually Dalmatias first capital prior to current day Split