Bosnia Europe Weekend Away

10 Things to do in Bosnia & Herzegovina

October 26, 2016

Turquoise rivers, tumbling waterfalls and lush green landscapes. The beautiful lands of Bosnia and Herzegovina are one of Europe’s best kept secrets. Wandering around Mostar feels like stepping back in time. Even if you only have a few days its worth visiting Mostar’s old bridge and exploring the alleys in Sarajevo. Here is my list of 10 things to do in Bosnia & Herzegovina.

1.Stari Most – Old Bridge

Stari Most means old bridge in Bosnian and is located in the old town of Mostar. This bridge is just as beautiful in real life as it is in photos. The bridge was built by the Ottomans in the 16th century. A word of warning the bridge is very slippery so wear sensible shoes. Crowds gather here during the day to watch people dive from the bridge into the River Neretva. Tourists can pay a fee for advice and a practise jump however this is not safe and travellers have died attempting to jump into the river.

mostar-satri-most-bridge

2.Blagaj

Blagaj is a small village town which is becoming a popular tourist destination. Its a lovely place to relax by the beautiful turquoise river. You can also visit the Dervish house in Blagaj (Tekija) for a small fee.This house is an important monument from the Ottoman period where religious ceremonies took place. You have to cover up before you go in and there are scarves and cover ups that will be given to you.

blagaj-bosnia

3.Kravice Waterfalls

This is an amazing lake surrounded by large waterfalls where you can enjoy a swim but be aware the water is freezing! There is also a restaurant next to the lake so you can relax with lunch or a beer whilst you take in the wonderful scenery.

bosnia-kravice-waterfall

4. Ancient Pocitelj

This is a UNESCO world heritage site located to the south of Mostar. The walled town of Pocitelj was built by the Ottomans.

mostar-bosnia

5. Viewpoint in Mostar

I went here on a day trip and this was our first stop with a view over Mostar our tour guide told us about the history of Mostar.

mostar-viewpoint

mostar-cross

6.Feast on meat

You have to try Ćevapi it is a traditional Balkan dish. Consisting of small grilled meat sausages made of lamb and beef mix; served with onions, sour cream and Bosnian pita bread.

mostar-mines

7.Learn about the history – Bosnia has had a turbulent past with a horrific war in the 90s, the effects of which are still massively visible especially in Mostar. You can still see bullet holes in buildings. I went on a walking tour in Mostar it was definitely the creepiest walking tour I’ve ever been on. I went with the hostel I was staying at, we walked to the sniper tower and had to climb over a huge wall to get in. It was at night so it was pretty dark. We walked around the corner and saw the graffiti as pictured below soo creepy!

graffiti-mostar-bosnia

We then walked up the stairs over lots of broken glass to get to the roof. Once at the top there was a great view of the city.

mostar-bosnia-48

8. Relax with Tea or coffee and a cake –  The Bosnians drink their coffee & tea Turkish style

sarajevo-tea-and-cake

9. Wander the old streets of Sarajevo, visit the winding alleys to discover antique shops and cute cafes. Buy some handmade copper coffee sets to enjoy Bosnian tea back home. Make sure you also check out the city hall!

10.Viewpoint in Sarajevo – As I only had 1 day in Sarajevo I didn’t have time to go during the day so went here at night and it had a great view of the city lit up. I saw the cutest proposal here. A man had bought his friends along and put some candles in a heart shape and played Bruno Mars “I think I want to marry you”he got down on one knee and proposed and she said yes! Their friends let go of red balloons and they floated off into the night sky it was so romantic. This viewpoint would be great to visit during sunset.

sarajevo-viewpoint

10. Visit the street corner that changed the world. This is where Franz Ferdinand was assassinated. This incident led Austria-Hungary to declare war on Serbia within weeks the conflict soon spread over the world causing world war one.

Accomodation

Boutique hostel skylounge – Mostar

bosnia-mostar-hostel

Photo from Hostelworld

• Centrally located
  • Events in the evening such as walking tour then head to restaurant and bar which is a great way to meet other hostel guests
  • Breakfast included
  • So cheap around £7 a night
  • Organised tour day trip with hostel as shown in photo below

tour-mostar

Hostel Inn Luxury – Sarajevo

hostel-inn-luxury-sarajevo-mostar

Photo from Hostelworld

• Nice design very white and clean
  • Selection of teas and coffee available for free – tea is so important for a British traveller haha

Information

• If travelling by bus buy at the station as I couldn’t find any tickets available online
  • Currency: Bosnia and Herzegovina convertible mark (BAM) £5 = 11 BAM
  • Where to go next: Explore Croatia’s wonderful coastline such as Split or Dubrovnik or head to Montenegro and another option would be to visit Belgrade in Serbia.

• Reply bulgariandays November 3, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Very informative, Bosnia obviously has much more to offer than I had ever imagined! A great article 🙂 Only one small remark – isn’t Belgrade in Serbia?

• Reply enjoytheadventures November 3, 2016 at 8:30 pm

Thanks yeah its amazing! Ah yeah I meant to put Serbia, thanks for pointing it out I’ve changed it 🙂

• Reply Felipe Zapata November 4, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Hi from Mexico. I’ll never visit these places you write about, but I really enjoy your posts, especially the photos. Great work.

• Reply fatimasaysell November 4, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Wow! What beautiful images and interesting places to visit, Jess! Thank you for sharing once again.

• Reply mooremisadventures November 5, 2016 at 5:14 am

I really enjoyed this post, it looks like an amazing place to visit and of a place I’ve never considered going to before. I feel like there’s a negative feeling surrounding this area and questions about its safety, how do you weigh in regarding that?

• Reply enjoytheadventures November 13, 2016 at 9:03 am

Before I went I was a bit anxious about safety but I’d heard from other travellers that it would be fine. When I was there I felt safe and everyone in Mostar was really friendly.

• Reply moorezart November 6, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Reblogged this on From 1 Blogger 2 Another.

• Reply milenkamillie November 7, 2016 at 11:46 pm

All of these things sound amazing 🙂 it seems like a less discovered Croatia or Montenegro! Unfortunately, I only had the chance to stop in Bosnia on my way from Split to Budva but I would love to visit properly one day! The Kravice waterfalls look incredible xx

• Reply Vy from VYLYST November 8, 2016 at 8:29 am

What a beautiful place and I have not heard of it before! Thanks for such an informative post! Love your pictures!

• Reply The Cooking spoon November 13, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Great blog and the pictures are amazing.

• Reply sheldonk2014 November 15, 2016 at 8:07 pm

See you on the side of creativity
    As always sheldon

• Reply Anabel Marsh November 18, 2016 at 10:46 am

Looks beautiful. Thanks for visiting The Glasgow Gallivanter.

• Reply jacquelineobyikocha November 18, 2016 at 1:01 pm

Great photos.

• Reply chris jensen November 19, 2016 at 1:01 am

Looks inviting!

However, i can’t even get out of the country!

i also see that you dropped by for a read,

methanks..

chris

• Reply knittingwithheart November 21, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Lovely photos and informative post…
    It’d be nice to visit there! 🙂 💜 Jackie@KWH

• Reply Connie T November 24, 2016 at 9:03 am

Beautiful pictures.

• Reply Vonnie November 30, 2016 at 2:52 am

B & H is on my list.

• Reply ostendnomad December 13, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Informative resume and nice photography! Always nice to read your stuff!

• Reply GiltsandGlamz December 22, 2016 at 7:09 pm

your blog is truly statisfiying and pleasing to the eyes 🙂 I lovee ittt xo https://wordpress.com/post/beautyandbrains5.wordpress.com/4492

• Reply blueribbonfair January 17, 2017 at 2:19 am

Now I know how beautiful this place is.

• Reply Adventures in Kevin's World January 24, 2017 at 3:28 am

That area has been on my list for a long time. Someday I’ll make it there – but not until I change jobs. Currently I can only travel November through February. I’d rather go in summer or fall!

• Reply Wild Wild Basch May 5, 2017 at 8:31 am

Thanks for sharing. I’m planning my road trip across the Balkans and I will be spending at least 1 or 2 days in Bosnia. I didn’t know about Blagaj but I am now having a look at it. As for Kravice Waterfalls, I’m not missing them for anything!

Kind regards and happy travels!