Czech Republic Travel Weekend Away

Prague Travel Guide

December 4, 2016

Prague is one of my favourite cities it has the perfect mixture of culture, history, nightlife and affordability. I am in love with it’s fairy tale buildings, everywhere you go you’ll find amazing architecture. This is my second visit to Prague I also went in summer last year and I was still amazed by Prague the second time around. Here is a list of things to do in Prague.

Explore Prague’s Castle

There are so many buildings to visit, you can choose between two tickets allowing you into different attractions. Make sure you visit St Vitus Cathedral the stained glass windows are incredible.

Prague Castle 2.jpg

Prague Castle.jpg

View of Prague Castle from Boat trip

prague-view-from-castle

Beautiful view over Prague from the castle

Changing of the Guard Prague Castle.jpg

Changing of the guard takes place daily at 12.00

Astronomical clock

Crowds will gather here every hour to watch the clock doors open and figures moving.

Prague astronimical clock.jpg

Old Town Hall

Enter the doors to the side of the clock and you’ll be whisked up to the top of the tower for an amazing view of the Old Town Square. When I was there the lift was broken but its an easy walk to the top.

Old Town Hall Prague View.jpg

Walk across Charles Bridge

In summer it is best to arrive here early as it gets crowded. However in November it wasn’t very busy.

band-charles-bridge

Band playing on Charles Bridge

Letna Park River Views

I went here last summer the view and beer garden are well worth the climb to the top.

fullsizerender-2

Boat tour

I went on a 50 minute boat trip my ticket was included in my holiday voucher. It would normally cost 300czk (£9.30)

view-from-boat-trip-prague

Klementinum library

This is hands down the best library I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately you aren’t allowed to take photos inside the library.

the-klementinum-national-library-czech-republic-1

Photo from Sean Yan

20161115_165750_002

View from top of library

Shop at Wenceslas Square

wencelas-square-prague

Visit St Nicholas Church

Visit St Jilji Church

St Jilji Church in Prague.jpg

What to Eat

Trdelniks

Hot circular pastries served hot with cinnamon and sugar you can get these with a variety of toppings and can find them on most street corners.

Mulled Wine

If visiting in Autumn or winter you can find this served everywhere. I stopped of at a cafe halfway up to the castle and had a very tasty mulled wine whilst admiring the view over Prague.

Goulash

You have to try this stew of meat and dumplings whilst in Prague.

Where to eat

Cafe Louvre

This elegant 100 year old cafe looks pretty and it’s affordable! I had the best hot chocolate its so thick and is served with whipped cream.

Lokal

This place is really cheap and offers authentic Czech food (ask for an English menu) I ordered the goulash it was pretty good.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Gingerbread Museum

This place has so many different gingerbread treats it’s a great place to buy souvenirs.

Accommodation

Hotel Aida

This is my first time using a Wowcher deal for a holiday and I was very impressed. I paid £100 for return flights, 2 nights accommodation and a river cruise. With it being such good value I assumed the hotel wouldn’t be nice but it was great! The staff at the hotel were friendly and the hotel has a buffet breakfast included. The hotel wasn’t in the centre but was only a 5 minute walk to the metro and then a 15 minute ride. Prices start from around £25 a night per person.

Information

• A taxi from the airport will cost around 650czk (£20)
  • A much cheaper option would be to get the bus and metro
  • 90 min metro ticket 32czk (£1) this includes use of metro, trams and buses, you must stamp ticket in the yellow machine before entering the metro
  • If you are going to use public transport a lot you can get a 24 hr pass for 110czk (£3.40) or a 3 day pass 310czk (£9.60)
  • From the 26th Nov to 6th of January Prague has a Christmas market in the Old Town Square and Wenceslas Square

Disclaimer: I received tickets to the Old Town Hall Thanks to Prague City Tourism, all opinions remain my own

prague-travel-guide

• Reply sonofabeach96 December 4, 2016 at 7:34 pm

My aunt has been to Prague many times due to work. She’s raved about how pretty a city it is too.

• Reply milfordstreet December 4, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Nice! I got a tease of basically spending an afternoon and evening here a few years back. I’d love to return for a proper vacation. Great summary of what to see and do. How many days did you stay there?

• Reply enjoytheadventures December 4, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Thanks I was there for 3 days and managed to see a lot. You should definitely go back there’s so much to do there 🙂

• Reply milfordstreet December 4, 2016 at 11:35 pm

I’d love to visit again and see it properly. Thank you.

• Reply Curlygirlabroad December 4, 2016 at 8:54 pm

Wondeful pictures! Prague is such a great city

• Reply Covert Novelist December 4, 2016 at 10:56 pm

What a beautiful and amazing place. thank you for sharing. I enjoyed the journey.

• Reply Sarah December 4, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Wow.. your photos are amazing!! Prague is definitely on my list of places to visit!

• Reply Steve.... December 5, 2016 at 3:29 am

Very beautiful

• Reply momentumtravels December 5, 2016 at 8:55 am

I visited this summer and did most of the things listed here – but not the Klementinum library, which kind of kills me because it looks absolutely awesome.. I also ate at Lokal, but I got their speciality (I think), which was fried chicken with potatoes which was also delicious 😛
    Cheers,
    Maria @ http://momentumtravels.com

• Reply enjoytheadventures December 5, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Ah lovely it’s so nice in the summer. I tried to go to lokal a second time but it was too busy. That’s a shame about the library as it’s so beautiful!

• Reply clare December 5, 2016 at 8:24 pm

looks beautiful, lovely photos!

• Reply Don Royster December 7, 2016 at 3:29 pm

When I saw the first photograph I thought it was hand drawn and not a photograph. Beautiful city.

• Reply Niko December 7, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Wonderful pictures 🙂

• Reply Roxy December 8, 2016 at 2:09 am

Omgsh your pictures are amazing! What kind of camera do you use?

• Reply Pooja @lostinprettyeurope December 8, 2016 at 11:54 am

Your photos are magical! And lots of useful info too. I am going to revisit Prague this January, just before the Christmas market closes on January 6th and I am beyond excited! The last time I visited was in spring so I am hoping for a whole different atmosphere now. 🙂

• Reply enjoytheadventures December 11, 2016 at 8:34 am

Thanks! Yeah its so nice to see places in different seasons 🙂

• Reply manningtreearchive December 24, 2016 at 5:42 am

A well presented post.

• Reply Future Expat January 11, 2017 at 6:37 pm

You got an awesome shot of the Astronomical Clock tower!

• Reply theorangutanlibrarian January 15, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Such a cool guide- I went and funnily enough I went to Lokal too!! Great place!

• Reply usathroughoureyes February 16, 2017 at 1:02 pm

Hi Jess! We are pleased to meet you. You have every right to be excited with the amazing architecture, we know we were. Thank you for making the time to develop this post. We feel like we were right there with you touring the region. It is going to be fun whetting our appetite as we see your section of the world through your eyes and words.

• Reply ignitedmoth April 25, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Gorgeous photos! And that library is stunning. I already wanted to go to Prague one day, but you just cemented it in my mind that I MUST go. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post! 🙂

• Reply enjoytheadventures April 26, 2017 at 8:43 am

Thanks for reading! Yes you must go Prague is amazing. The library is so beautiful 🙂

• Reply Prague Travel Guide — – Advancing Innovators June 27, 2017 at 2:18 am