Days Out Travel UK

Jane Austen House Museum Chawton, Hampshire

January 4, 2017

A while ago I visited the Jane Austen House Museum in Chawton, Hampshire. Here you can explore the house where Jane Austen lived and wrote. It’s located in such a lovely area, the village is so peaceful and quaint with lots of green space and cute thatched houses. Across the road is a pub which we had a cup of tea in, they also serve meals which looked pretty good. There is also an English tea room opposite but unfortunately it’s shut on Monday’s so we didn’t get to try it out. Free parking is available opposite the museum. Tickets cost £8.00 or £6.50 for students. You can then use this ticket for up to a year if you want to visit again.

Jane Austen Museum (14).jpg

jane-austen-museum-4jane-austen-museum-15jane-austen-museum-3

Jane Austen Museum (16).jpg

There is a short video on Jane’s life

Jane Austen Museum (1).jpg

jane-austen-museum-2

You can make your own lavender bag or write with a quill pen

jane-austen-museum-8

Jane Austen’s bedroom

Jane Austen Museum (9).jpgJane Austen Museum (6).jpgjane-austen-museum-7

After this we decided to visit Farnham town its a 20 minute drive from the museum. We went to Farnham Castle Keep which is free to look around and then went to the Botanist for lunch.

farnham-surrey-2farnham-surrey-1Farnham Castle Keep (4).jpgjane-austen-museum-11farnham-castle-keep-1farnham-castle-keep-2farnham-castle-keep-3

The Botanist Fanham.jpg

The Botanist have a huge selection of drinks I went for a mocktail as I was driving but will have to go back and try some of the cocktails. They have a set two course lunch for £11.95 or 3 courses for £13.95. I went for the sesame coated falafel and the hanging chicken kebab with sweet potato fries. The food was really tasty and I will definitely be returning!

What to do after

• Go for a walk in the countryside
  • Visit Birdworld in Farnham
  • Check out Alton town

jane-austen-museum-pinterest

• Reply Mary January 4, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Sounds like such a fun place — you make me want to pack my bags, pick up my copy of “Pride and Prejudice” and go!

• Reply Nyse January 4, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Woah, this is such a much see! Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors of all time! I think its’s time to come up with an excuse to plan a little trip to Hampshire…

• Reply Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC January 4, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Thanks for the virtual vacation – much needed! I am always captivated by the charm of these little hamlets – rare in over-the-top, corporate capitalist USA, except in small towns. And, of course, much of even our young history has been obliterated in the name of “progress.” ::sigh:: I guess that’s why I gravitate to old movies – especially old Christmas movies (but never the ones that have been colorized).

I WANT that bed – I have always loved the idea of bed curtains. Cozy and warm, but my tester bed disappeared in one of my many moves, alas!
    xx,
    mgh
    (Madelyn Griffith-Haynie – ADDandSoMuchMore dot com)
    – ADD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder –
    “It takes a village to educate a world!”

• Reply enjoytheadventures January 5, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Yeah I think bed curtains look so cosy 🙂

• Reply Madelyn Griffith-Haynie, MCC, SCAC January 5, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Even sheer ones are wonderful at keeping the heat in – a great solution for people who live in cold or drafty homes, even today. It’s tougher to make yourself get up and out in the AM, however. 🙂
        xx,
        mgh

• Reply Vibha Ravi January 4, 2017 at 6:41 pm

I just watched ‘Austenland’ on the telly a few days back. Such is the charm of her novels that people would pay to live a day as one of the characters in her novels. And, who isn’t charmed by John Darcy? You’re so lucky to have been to the museum

• Reply The Showers of Blessing January 4, 2017 at 8:41 pm

It must be a great place to visit. I went to Jane Austen Center in Bath.

• Reply Anna Cottage January 4, 2017 at 9:02 pm

Have you visited where she was laid to Rest?

• Reply 1944april January 4, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Only yesterday I was reading in a magazine all about JA home in Hampshire – thanks for the pictures :-o)

• Reply To The Moon And The Stars January 4, 2017 at 9:52 pm

looks amazing 🙂

• Reply fatimasaysell January 5, 2017 at 10:03 am

It really is a proper English cottage. Weird, I’ve lived in Dorset and West Sussex, both borderlinae with Hampshire, for over 30 years, but I have never visited this village. It definitely is something I would enjoy and I am glad you did. 👍

• Reply AlicevstheWorld January 5, 2017 at 10:27 am

I’m so jealous that you visited the Austen Museum, it’s my dream to go there one day! I’d love to do a literary road trip round the UK one day, and the Jane Austen house is definitely the first place I’d go.

• Reply Kritt Normsaskul January 5, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Lovely images 🙂

• Reply artistbybeauty January 6, 2017 at 1:42 am

Beautiful photos 🙂 🙂 Looks like so much fun to visit <3 <3 x x

• Reply Browsing the Atlas January 6, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Looks like such a charming place to visit. I can never resist peeking into to home of a writer. I always try to picture them there and see what inspired them, hoping a little bit of their genius will rub off on me.

• Reply milenkamillie ✨❄️ January 6, 2017 at 10:44 pm

Aww this place looks lovely and the village seems so sweet ☺️ It’s definitely somewhere I need to visit soon as it’s super close to where I live! Love your photos! xx

• Reply european diaries January 8, 2017 at 7:25 pm

I also wanna visit this place! So jealous of you

• Reply Daal January 9, 2017 at 1:32 am

love this! interesting to contemplate whether Austin would’ve enjoyed falafel 🙂

• Reply Alice💖 January 11, 2017 at 9:16 am

Such a great post, love a bit of Jane Austen 🙂

• Reply Tanja January 29, 2017 at 3:16 pm

beautiful photos!

• Reply Carl D'Agostino February 3, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Enjoyed the tour. I visit the Hemingway hose in Key West.

• Reply Jane Austen House Museum Chawton, Hampshire — | Hart Residents Community Website June 29, 2017 at 1:15 pm

[…] via Jane Austen House Museum Chawton, Hampshire — […]

• Reply Jane Austen House Museum Chawton, Hampshire — | Simple Things July 3, 2017 at 12:32 pm

[…] via Jane Austen House Museum Chawton, Hampshire — […]