Vienna is the capital and largest city of Austria, it’s a city full of gorgeous architecture and imperial palaces. Known as the ‘city of music’ Vienna was once home to Mozart, Beethoven and many other famous composers. Coffee houses are a big thing here so make sure you stop off for some Kaffee and Kuchen (coffee and cake) on your visit.
Looking for things to do in Vienna? Read on for my picks of the city’s best attractions, cafes drinking spots and more!
Top things to do in Vienna
- Go on the Ferris wheel at Prater amusement park
- See a show at the opera house
- Enjoy the view from the Danube tower
- Learn about the famous Viennese composers at the house of music
- Find the best wurstelstand in Vienna
- Take a look around museums quarter
- Visit Vienna zoo, the oldest running zoo in the world!
- Relax with a coffee and cake in a traditional Viennese coffeehouse
- Watch the sunset or sunrise at the top of St Stephens Cathedral – For a small fee you can climb up to the top platform for spectacular views over the city. If your feeling less energetic just have a look around the beautiful architecture inside the Cathedral.
- Spend a day exploring Schönbrunn Palace and gardens – The palace is absolutely beautiful and if you don’t fancy looking inside the palace then it’s free to look around the gardens. The palace used to be the Imperial Summer Residence for the Habsburg emperors. If yo’ure feeling super fancy you can even spend the night in one of the palace suites.
A bus tour is the perfect way to see more of Vienna as some places are quite spread out and would take time to walk to. When you hop on the bus grab some headphones so you can listen to the tour and find out more about the history of Vienna. The bus has different lines, you can hop on each taking you around different attractions. During the tour you’ll find out about different historical sites around the city. Some of my favourite attractions the bus takes you to are the Schönbrunn Palace, Prater Amusement Park and the Danube Tower. You can book the bus tour here.
- Potato salad
- Spätzle – similar to Mac’n’Cheese
- Apple strudel
- Sacher torte – famous Viennese chocolate cake
Some fun rooftop bars to visit are:
- The Ritz Carlton
- Dachboden at the 25hours hotel
- Sky bar
- Onyx bar
There are plenty of these cafes dotted around Vienna serving a large range of cakes and drinks. The pretty pink interior in these cafes make them very Instagrammable.
This coffee shop is probably the most famous in Vienna. The architecture inside is very beautiful and they serve a large range of cakes and pastries. We didn’t have the best experience there as the hot chocolate was average and overpriced and our waiter was quite rude too. The building looks really nice and the cakes all looked delicious, but we thought it was a bit overrated.
Where To Stay
I highly recommend this fun circus themed hotel – check out my review here
This ultra modern hotel offers large stylish rooms, a co working space, on site bar and cafe and a terrace with greenery.
This hotel offers panoramic views over Vienna, an onsite gym, spa and restaurant. The restaurant and bar offers direct views of St Stephens Cathedral.