Ireland Travel

What to do in Dublin, Ireland

November 24, 2016

Dublin is an amazing city to explore! With plenty of things to do and see from walking by the river, enjoying a Guinness in a cosy pub with live music or exploring Dublin’s historic buildings. Its super easy to get to the city centre from the airport just get the Airlink bus 747 to the city centre it takes about 30 minutes. You can buy the ticket at the airport and there is free wifi on the bus. Below is a list of things to do in Dublin.

Temple bar area

Very touristy and expensive but you should visit here at least once. Around the city there are plenty of pub crawls or beer or whisky tasting tours that you can join.

temple-bar-area-dublin-ireland

Trinity College

trinity-college-dublin

Kilmainham Gaol

Book a time slot in advance as it can sell out, it is €7.00 for adults or €3.00 for students with a booking fee of €1.00. The guided tour lasts 90 minutes and will explain the history of the jail and talk about the prisoners. I found this really interesting its definitely worth a visit!

kilmainham-gaol-dublin

Guinness Storehouse

This is very touristy but a lot of fun and you can easily spend a few hours here. There are lots of different floors featuring Guinness advertisements a tasting room and a rooftop bar. You are shown how to pour the perfect pint of Guinness and then get to take home a certificate. You can enjoy your drink at the rooftop bar with a view over Dublin. Prices are around  €14- €20 and you can get a small discount by booking online.

guinness-storehouse-dublin

guinness-storehouse-shop

img20161004164117

The Brazen Head Pub (oldest in Ireland)

oldest-pub-in-dublin-brazen-head

full-irish-breakfast-the-brazen-head-pub-dublin

Christ church cathedral

christ-church-cathedral-dublin

Dublin Castle

dublin-castle

St Patrick’s Cathedral

st-patricks-cathedral-dublin-ireland

The Little Museum of Dublin

Here you can learn about the history of Dublin in 30 minutes a tour guide will show you around the rooms. It costs €8 or €6 for students.

little-museum-of-dublin

Free things to do

Free walking tour

The walking tour I did meets at the Generator hostel and takes you around Temple bar area, Trinity College and St Patrick’s Cathedral.

St Stephens Green

Processed with VSCO with f2 preset

River Liffey

Free music gig

Ireland is famous for its live music and you are likely to wander past some pubs with live singers or bands. Generator hostel also has live music nights check out what’s on here.

Accommodation

Generator Hostel

generator-hostel-dublin

Photo from Hostelworld

• Daily events such as comedy evenings and live music
  • Bar downstairs – even if you don’t stay here you can come here for drinks and live music
  • Luggage storage
  • Lockers
  • 24hr reception

Places to eat

Jo’Burger

This place is right around the corner from the Generator hostel and offers a wide range of burgers and toppings.

Fade St Social

One of the best places I’ve had tapas! It is fairly expensive but worth it. I would recommend the truffle pasta with charred asparagus and parmesan & a tuna and tomato dish. You should try getting a few tapas to share. They also have

Queen of Tarts

This little cafe has a selection of cakes and also has breakfast and lunch dishes. I had a hot chocolate and raspberry scone. The scones are lovely and they have a variety of flavours!

queen-of-tarts-dublin-cafe

Make sure you have a Guinness it tastes so much better in Ireland. Also Guinness chocolate tastes really good too!

what-to-do-in-dublin-ireland-pinterest

• Reply nihaojulia November 24, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Looks so pretty!

• Reply Kritt Normsaskul November 24, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Great post! I know I’ll revisit this when I plan my trip to Ireland 🙂

• Reply Jim November 24, 2016 at 5:21 pm

nice post and wonderful pics. thanks for taking us along.

• Reply fatimasaysell November 24, 2016 at 5:31 pm

I loved Dublin when I visited in the late 80s, as I had a friend who married an Irishman. I loved the feel of the city because it was more like Europe than London. Glad you enjoyed your visit. Great photos! 👍

• Reply Felipe Zapata November 24, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Great photos, as always. Did you know that the Guinness Stout Ireland exports is a bit different than the variety sold domestically? The domestic stuff is superior. I visited Dublin in the 1970s. Wish I were there right now.

• Reply enjoytheadventures November 24, 2016 at 9:41 pm

I didn’t know that, makes sense to why it tastes so much better 🙂

• Reply Covert Novelist November 24, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Spectacular pictures! I’ve always been intrigued by dublin. I had friends who went years ago, but your pictures are delightful and comprehensive. I feel as if I were alongside you taking a meander down the streets. Thank You! very very much! for sharing. Completely in love with your pictures and Dublin.

• Reply Covert Novelist November 24, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Can’t decide which photo I love more. Each captures a completely different essence of the city, each equally compelling.

• Reply diane frisch November 24, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Very nice article! We plan to visit Ireland in the next few years with our young adult children. Great photos.

• Reply Pooja @lostinprettyeurope November 25, 2016 at 8:52 am

Wow that is a lot of nice info about Dublin! 🙂 The architecture looks very interesting – different from continental Europe. I’ve never been to Ireland or UK myself, but I’ve heard wonderful things. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Clear Lake Journal November 25, 2016 at 11:19 am

The colors in the pictures are beautiful. Great information too. I’ll definitely visit Dublin in the future and refer back to your posts.

• Reply ShivWrites November 25, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Ahh this brought back great memories 🙂 brilliant post and pics as always x

• Reply adventuredawgs November 26, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Great post! Ireland is definitely at the top of my list for places to visit.

• Reply Anna Cottage November 27, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Only been to Dublin once and it was all a rush. Know Cork and West Cork well though, but my heart is in Killarney.

• Reply 1944april November 29, 2016 at 3:07 am

Thanks for jogging the old grey matter – my wife & I visited most of the places that you listed about six years ago! Loved the time in Dublin.

• Reply Jess @PTcontender November 29, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Wow you took some great photos! I want to go so bad now! I had no idea there was so much to do there :))

• Reply Anonymous November 30, 2016 at 2:39 am

This was so refreshing I really enjoyed it! Feeling like I need to take a trip to Dublin Soon 😀 Thanks Mahalo

• Reply _h2w_ November 30, 2016 at 8:48 am

Such a great post! Thank you for sharing

• Reply Judy @ NewEnglandGardenAndThread November 30, 2016 at 11:59 am

We spent a wonderful ten days in Ireland in September. It was terrific, and I’d recommend it to everyone. The only thing I wouldn’t do again is the Guinness tour. There’s not a lot to see if you have been on other European brewery tours, and the crowds are not worth the expense. However the Guinness at the local pubs is quite tasty. 🙂

• Reply historypresent November 30, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Very nice! thank you

• Reply Don December 2, 2016 at 1:07 am

I see The Temple Bar on the live streaming webcam with audio. Nice to visit!

• Reply Kat L. December 2, 2016 at 10:49 am

I live here and somehow I missed the Kilmainhan Gaol, shame on me! Now I know what to do on the weekend 😉

• Reply Alan Kazazian December 3, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Helloo There
    I just knew you from Twitter , where I checked your website looking for the countries you have visited Most of Europe and No Egypt , I wanted to suggest you to visit Egypt on your next trip , where If you are interested our family owns several Nile cruise hotel ships and we are in this business our whole life.

looking forward hearing from you soon

• Reply SendingPostcardsHome December 5, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Queen of tarts is my favorite! Everything there is so good!

• Reply websparky December 6, 2016 at 11:12 am

Perfect Post for me, off to Dublin in January, you have just made me 100 times more excited. Just worried about the cold though.

• Reply enjoytheadventures December 6, 2016 at 6:13 pm

Hope you have an amazing time in Dublin! Yeah make sure you bring lots of warm clothes.

• Reply alexraphael December 10, 2016 at 2:25 pm

I’ve been to Dublin and really liked it. I put loads of photos up. Shame you didn’t get to see Phoenix Park but it looks like you did loads.

• Reply enjoytheadventures December 11, 2016 at 8:28 am

Yeah Dublin is great! If I go back I’ll definitely check out Phoenix Park 🙂

• Reply alexraphael December 11, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Do you think a Guinness tastes better in Ireland?

• Reply Lisa December 11, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Awesome post! I now have some more ideas when I’m in Dublin in June! Thank you!

• Reply easternshorebrent December 14, 2016 at 12:22 am

Our one visit to Ireland (from Shannon round south to Dublin was awesome. I have ancestors from Kinsale and it was great fun to visit.Lovely people, lovely time. Thanks for liking one of my recent posts on easternshorebrent.com. I look forward to reading more of your blog!

• Reply Working Holiday Ireland December 16, 2016 at 12:16 am

Reblogged this on Working Holiday Ireland.

• Reply brasstongs December 19, 2016 at 6:29 pm

We loved St. Stephen’s Green when we visited Dublin. Also, took a bus up to Newgrange one morning and that was an amazing site. Thanks for visiting my blog, “Revolving Door Philately”

• Reply kelleysdiy December 24, 2016 at 4:22 pm

Thank you for taking me on your wonderful travels.

• Reply 44coconutst January 8, 2017 at 1:40 pm

This post is awesome!! Thanks for sharing, I hope to visit Ireland one day!!

• Reply Elizabeth February 7, 2017 at 11:26 pm

Oh, how I’d love to visit Ireland! It feels like the home I never got to live in and I miss it!